Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the first step of the passport process?

    Download the Pre-Appointment Checklist here. At this time, we are accepting passport applications by appointment only. Please call (805) 893-3552.

  2. What do I need to bring to my appointment?

    A completed application (DS-11, in black ink), Driver’s License, an ORIGINAL vital record birth certificate or old passport, a 2x2 passport photo, a blank check or money order (more information listed below), and a $35 processing fee. $10.00 will be charged if photo services are requested with your appointment.

  3. If my Driver’s License is not issued in California, do I need to show other forms of identification?

     If the applicant submits an out-of-state primary identification, he/she must present an additional ID document. A UCSB school ID will work.

  4. Where can I find the passport application?

    Passport applications (DS-11 for new passports) can be found at the Rec Cen Customer Service Center or online at Please do not print your application double sided.

  5. What are the passport fees?

    Expedite Fee (2-3 weeks): $170 for an adult passport book, $140 for a children (under 16) passport book, $90 for an adult passport card, $75 for a children passport card

    Routine Service (4-6 weeks): $110 for an adult passport book, $80 for a children passport book, $30 for an adult passport card, $15 for a children passport card.

    The fees MUST BE paid in check or money order, made payable to U.S. Department of State. A separate $35 processing fee will also be collected at the time of your appointment. This could be paid in cash, check, Visa or Mastercard.

  6. Can I get my passport photos taken at the office?

    Yes, they are $10 for a set of two photos.

  7. Are both parents required to be present at an appointment for minors (under age 16)?

    Yes, both parents need to be present at the appointment. In the case that one parent cannot make it, a notarized form (DS-3053), and a front & back copy of a driver's license needs to be provided. Download the Information Form for U.S Passport Applications for Children Under Age 16.

  8. Do I need to go through the passport process if I am adult renewing my passport?

If your last passport was issued after the age of 16 and it has been less than 5 years since the expiration date, you can renew your passport by mail. Just drop off an envelope with the DS-82, old passport, and check or money order made out to U.S. Department of State to your local post office.

9. How do I get to the Recreation Center?
Click here for map directions and parking information.